Category Archives: Bedroom

Guest Bedroom Remodel

120901-047

So when we first moved in this is what our guest bedroom looked like. Ancient rust-colored carpet (that had a disintegrated carpet padding under it), a ceiling fan with no light and white walls!120901-033It also has a strange little closet in the middle of the wall.

We did a garage repair and lifted a beam in the ceiling that tore the walls in the guest bedroom and office. Here’s what we were left with:

140908-004

See the rips in the wall and the old ceiling fan? It was time for that to go!140908-002-3

A close up of the ripped walls before the renovation started. 140908-002-2

On the right side of the window. 

140908-008Dale started by tearing out the old drywall.

140908-009

He opted to put in all-new insulation on the walls that face the window and the front doorway.

141115-018

And this is how it looks now, with lovely new walls! Dale skim-coated all the walls so all four walls would be like new. Then we painted the walls blue and put up brand new trim. 141115-017

We hope to put in new windows next summer, maybe. 141115-015Lovely blue! Next up: We have to decorate the dang thing. We did get a bed for the room so it’s ready for guests. More pics to come when I actually get pictures on the walls (so…2016).

 

 

My First Upholstered Chair!

For the tl; dr crowd here’s the shorthand on my first upholstered chair project:

I have always wanted to learn to do basic upholstery projects so I bought this chair last year with good intentions and little free time:

IMG_1835

I liked the lines, and I didn’t even mind the slipper pink fabric and gold trim. I mean, I love tacky stuff, right? But this was cheap and in bad shape so I didn’t care if I messed it up. It was like $7 at an estate sale.
IMG_1838

Shoddy paint job? Eh, I knew I wasn’t going to keep it.

IMG_1853

So I stripped it, carefully keeping the interior layers (I probably put it back together wrong anyway because I’m clueless). And then I lightly sanded it. I probably could have done a better job sanding but I was more interested in the fabric in all honesty.
IMG_1854Then I spray painted the chair black.

And then the chair sat in the basement for about six months collecting broken dreams. I thought I was going to do double welting as the trim because that’s how it came to me. So I felt like I needed to learn how to make welting. That’s a long side project/story that is pointless here because, after I got going? I realized I’d rather just have gimp trim!

So here’s what I did:

IMG_2846Dale set me up with an awesome work station in the garage–on a table he built that he hasn’t given me pictures of. He’s done a bunch of impressive projects that I can’t show you until I get pics from him.

I used a traditional heavy duty stapler and that seriously and totally SUCKED. I really need an upholstery stapler if I plan to get serious about these projects going forward! It also kinda ruined the chair (which was my fault and nobody can really tell unless I point it out but still). Get a real upholstery stapler. That’s my biggest piece of advice for newbies like myself.

IMG_2851

Trying to position the pattern within the frame of the chair was a challenge. I pinned it first and then stapled. IMG_2852

And THEN I trimmed the fabric. Probably a terrible idea. Probably destroyed the cutting tools I used. Live and learn, eh? Top pinned

Put the existing padding in just as it had been before (that was actually in great shape).  And pinned the front to get my staple on. Ugh, my hands were tired!

IMG_2858

You can see some of my shoddier attempts at cutting the fabric here. I literally have no idea how I should have done it. I’m going to have to do more reading next time. Heh. I also winged it with folding the fabric over the corners. The book I had didn’t address that style. IMG_2859

Finally, I got to the part that I’m good at: using my glue gun! I pinned the gimp (that’s the edging) all along the fabric to cover up all my most egregious screw-ups. Then I used my hot glue gun to glue down several inches at a time, careful to shape the gimp as I moved around the chair. IMG_2861

I cut smaller pieces and glued them down around the edges of the chair.IMG_2863

Ta da! I felt pretty impressed with myself all things considered. IMG_2864

And a pic of the back, of course. IMG_2865

And, in the interest of full disclosure? I screwed up a bit, too, but nobody noticed until I pointed it out to them. IMG_2872This is the first step in our amazing bedroom makeover (that is nowhere near happening yet). But I like it!

World’s Tackiest Headboard

So, Dale woke me up one night two weeks ago and let me know that the World’s Tackiest Headboard happened to be right outside our bedroom window–waiting to go into the trash.

I was thrilled and we immediately scurried down the stairs and scooped it up. Of course, nothing can be simple! My goal was just to spray paint it a fabu gold and blue and use it as a free and easy piece in my dream Moulin Rouge-themed bedroom! I want to live inside the elephant in Moulin Rouge! So I started cleaning it tonight and it’s filthy, of course. But worse yet, the paint–both layers of it–is coming off on my cleaning rag. And it’s lovely hand-carved wood underneath! Gah! Now I am going to have to strip it in order to paint it because if I paint it, it will just flake off! *sigh*

Anyway, you can follow the progress of the World’s Tackiest Headboard here, including the newly uncovered wood beneath the tacky paint.